"Good things fall apart..."

"...so better things can fall together."

I've been hearing this line for the longest time already, though I do not now recall where it came from. (If anyone can refresh my memory, please do. Apparently this quote is from Marilyn Monroe.) And it strikes me every single time I hear it being said, or see it being written.

Yesterday, I stumbled upon my friend's Multiply again and saw a post which contained a part of our chat from a couple of months back. My friend brings up this line and I told her I agreed, except for the latter part -- I guess that's the part that really gets to me. Then she says, "There's no guarantee kase." Exactly, I said. Exactly.

"Good things fall apart." I get that. Temporary as we are, nothing ever really lasts forever in this life. Not even the intangibles. And I'm pretty sure every one of us, if not most of us, can attest to that.

It's the latter that doesn't make sense."Better things fall together." This isn't always the case, especially if the good thing that fell apart was something we valued very deeply. Most of the time our world gets blurred, our judgment clouded, and we ourselves become disoriented to the point that we don't get to see the rainbow after the storm, the light at the end of the tunnel. Because to us, there is no silver lining anymore...

But like my friend said, there is no guarantee. We can never discount the possibility, no matter how bleak, that things could be "looking up" for us in the foreseeable future. Even if we don't know how it will happen. Even if we think it will never happen at all. The possibility exists.

I guess the one thing that will make sense of all of this is one of life's unchangeable facts: LIFE GOES ON. Whether or not better things will fall together, though it's not for us to decide, we will still be here. And we will still need to keep moving forward either way.

It's only now that I'm able to understand what that line meant:

"Good things fall apart..."

But, for better or worse, life will go on.



(Originally posted 2010-08-10 on Facebook)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Saranggola sa Ulan".

Disconnection notice. (Turn off the lights now.)

Mommy.